Monday, June 29, 2009

Anger

6-30-2009

The two greatest commandments we are given is to LOVE God above everything, and to LOVE your neighbor as yourself. If we could think of a word that implies the opposite of love it could possibly be anger. Jesus gives us strict instructions to rid ourselves of anger not only by the way we act and speak, but also in the way we think.

I’ve been told you will do what you think. If we think angry thoughts, chances are we will speak and act in angry ways eventually. God informs us to control our attitudes. Easier said than done right! I am a very passionate and competitive individual, and if there’s one thing I don’t enjoy, it’s losing. I was reminded years ago about the time I beat a seven year old boy in a game, and my girlfriend at the time couldn’t understand why I wouldn’t let him win. My response was, “I don’t know how to LET someone win!” I’ve grown since then, but I still have room for a lot of growth when it comes to controlling my temper.

As a baseball coach, there are a lot of times when anger wants to take over, and quite honestly it does take over. Though I’ve improved a lot, I still have a ways to go. I look at Jesus as the perfect example of how to act during frustrating times. He is always demonstrating love and patience during the most difficult situations. One of my greatest assets is my transparent honesty; however it can also be one of my greatest weaknesses, as I will say what I am thinking WAY TOO OFTEN. When we can learn to handle tough situations with patient love, Jesus will be glorified. When we handle situations with a humanly emotion, no one wins.

We all get angry at times, so our instruction during these moments is to solve any potential conflict or problem before it becomes a bigger conflict or problem. Matthew 5:25 says, “Settle matters quickly with your adversary.” In other words, the longer you allow a problem or anger to fester within you, the worse it can get over time. Sit down with the person or persons you are having the issue with and talk through the problems in a loving way. Remember, if you are looking for a fight, you are going to get a fight, and NO ONE wins in that situation. If you are looking for a peaceful resolution, you are going to find a peaceful resolution where everyone involves win.

Application:
1. Read Matthew 5:21-26
2. Have you allowed your anger to surface? Do you have angry thoughts? Who do you need to reconcile with so you may look at all people in a loving and peaceful manner?

No comments:

Post a Comment